Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Blue Skies


Sorry about the long time between posts. THe weather got to the poiint where it was too depressing to post anything about it. Changing the number in reference to a quote by RFD Illinois commentator Allen Jurand. " We are now 12 days into a drought." The down side is that soils are still very wet. Yesterday the bags filled in southeastern Greene county had soaked through by the time I got to the office. Really we must be thankful that we have had a nice window of opportunity for field work. Yesterday was damp, but no real rain. A few were Harvesting, others were moving grain or maybe just getting a breather from the long run of field work.

I am seeing some tillage being done. IT is really too wet for that. I say do what you need to in order to get the crop out. If you cut a rut, don't worry too much about it, but tilling wet ground will make that compaction even worse. If ou really think you need to do tillage, wait till the ground freezes so there will be some support for the tractor.

My breather is today. We are currently caught up to the combines. Last Saturday I cought this sunset as I finished the day. I don't usually do sunsets, but his was a beautiful one.

No comments: