Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Long Trip

I returned on Friday from 5 weeks on the road.  Thanks for continuing to read this blog while I was out of town.  I spent 3 weeks in Columbia, MO mostly in town.  I was able to take one short trip out of town and previously reported on crop conditions there.  Dry weather has caused crops to continue to deteriorate.  I spent a week in the Sikeston, MO area and was able to see some of the countryside there.  Soybeans look pretty good, especially where irrigated.  Corn looks no better than fair, even where irrigated.  I flew over the delta land around Memphis.  I could tell I was seeing rice, soybeans, and cotton, but  I really had no idea of the condition. 

Land north of Dallas, TX is mostly rangeland.  I really did not see a lot of the ranchland, but what I saw looked very dry.  People are watering their foundations to keep them from cracking. 

Tomorrow's blog will about local conditions I observed on the way home.

No comments: