Search This Blog

Friday, February 28, 2014

Watershed Planning

One of my most interesting activities as an NRCS employee was work in watershed planning.  A watershed is defined as all the land draining to a particular point in a stream or body of water.  As I am nearly caught up on my reading, I am back to March of 2013.  Today I read "The Upper Chester River Watershed: lessons learned from a focused, highly partnered, voluntary approach to conservation." 

NRCS and local soil and water conservation districts try to partner with other local interest groups and individuals to come up with locally viable ways to address resource concerns in the watershed.  Watersheds almost always cross political boundaries and have multiple land uses within them.  In order to get things accomplished a good deal of cooperation is necessary.  My advice on the topic is that when yo are invited to participate in such groups, take advantage of the opportunity.  Farmers almost always sit on the committee.  Usually everyone located in the watershed is invited to participate in public commenting.  You are missing a good chance to make the voice of agriclture heard if you do not participate. 

No comments: