Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014

Surface Pro 2 Review

I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 to replace my Panasonic Toughbook.  The Toughbook gave excellent service, but with Microsoft no longer supporting Windows XP, it had become a virus magnet.

The Surface Pro 2 is loaded with Microsoft's Office 365 which seems like a bargain compared to Microsoft Office of the past.  I also have loaded Global Mapper on it.  Global Mapper works fine.  I had trouble understanding how the pairing with my Garmin Glo Receiver worked, so pulled my hair  out over it.  Once our computer guy solved that, I am able to use it in the field, but not on the 4 wheeler yet.

It comes with a stylus instead of a mouse.  You can also use fingers. I do find being able to touch the screen with my finger can be useful.  I have the bluetooth mouse that I used on the toughbook and despite the good performance of the stylus, I still find cursor control when drawing maps is better with the mouse.  I also bought the solid keyboard to go with it.  The keyboard is a  necessity in my mind although the on screen keyboard is available and I use it some.  Since the solid keyboard has no moving parts, dirt should not be a problem.  It has one USB port, so be prepared for lots of wireless operation.  I have 2 wireless printers, so that is not a problem.  The screen is small, so a good pair of reading glasses is a good thing for an old man like me. 

Windows 8.1 has a much different feel than any other version of windows, but once you get used to it, it is not so bad.

I am disappointed that there is not a ruggedized box for it.  It would be great if Otterbox came out with something.  There is a Rammount.  I want to run it on the four wheeler for sampling, without the keyboard of course.  It looks like I might need to make my own box. 

Setting it up has been a chore to me, but luckily we have a new guy on board who is very helpful with technology.  Over all, I am very happy with the purchase.  I would give it four stars out of five.


No comments: