Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Farm Bill

Work on the new farm bill is well underway. I hope the farmers in my audience are tracking it better than I am.  We like to think that our commodity groups and farm organizations are looking out for us.  There is power in groups representing large constituencies, but there is also power in the individual.  I am not sure what kind of ratio congressmen use, but I have heard from several that letters, emails, and phone calls from individuals weigh much more heavily than contacts from groups.  Congresspersons expect to hear from groups, but when individuals get involved, that adds more weight to opinions.  Learn what is going on in the debate and then get a hold of the guys who will be voting for you.  Keep in mind that many of them will be home for Thanksgiving and will have office hours.  Meantime, here is an update from one source.  Check it out and track down more information.  Also, do not hesitate to call on your farm and commodity groups for updates.  I am sure there are many who blog on farm policy.  One good one listed to the right is Farm and Ranch Country by Bill Graff. See what Bill and others are saying.

No comments: