Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Food Coop

This story by Josh Flint caught my eye.  My wife has been helping with a  food coop in our town.  She gets a huge amount of vegetables and fruit every two weeks for $24.  It is divided with 2 other couples, so we get tons of fresh fruit and vegetables for a very reasonable price.  The coop volunteers divide up a truck load of produce and send it out every two weeks.  It does not say it is locally produced.  It does not say it is organic.  Just fresh and inexpensive.  I think there is some implication that this stuff is better than what is in the store.  I think it comes from the same place the store get's there stuff.  Buying in bulk and volunteers sort and separate it keeps the cost down.  The other thing is that we have to deal with some spoilage by the end of 2 weeks.  Along the same lines, I  have seen pick-ups parked in a local parking lot selling sweetcorn or produce.  The implication is that is fresh from the farm, but in talking with the seller one time, I found he drives 100 miles to get the stuff he sells.  Is this local.  Does it matter? 

No comments: