Search This Blog

Monday, August 19, 2013

Illinois Weather and Crop Report

I have written many blogs about the weather and crop report and how (in)accurate it seems to be.  This year I am finding that the reports are about what I am seeing.  I have traveled from Valmeyer, IL to Chicago and along the northeastern border of Illinois recently.  The report seems consistent with what I have seen.  50% of the state is reporting short on moisture. I am seeing that in the field.  Cool weather is helping, but we need more rain to set soybean pods and to help the corn to mature.  Crop progress is behind the 5 year average, and I would say the 5 year average is not ideal.  We would like to see corn heading toward maturity.  The only places with any dry lower leaves are those areas stressed by low moisture.  I hesitate to use drought after last years "real" drought. 

No comments: