Search This Blog

Sunday, November 17, 2013

How about some Jersey Cows?

The recent announcement  that the FDA plans to ban trans fats got me to thinking.  Is this a good time to follow in my Grandpa' s footsteps and get into the Jersey Cow business?  Jersey's are known for the high butter fat content of their milk.  With Trans fats to be phased out, butter is a logical substitute.  One of the things I have done to soften my butter and reduce the saturated fat is to mix it with canola oil.  Just soften a stick of butter in a bowl and add a half cup of oil.  I suppose any mild edible oil would do.  Whip it with an electric mixer for about a minute and pour into a plastic container.  It makes a very tasty spread.  You can also buy this margarine substitute in the store if you don't want to make it yourself .  Ironic talking about butter as a margarine substitute isn't it.

No comments: