Search This Blog

Saturday, October 4, 2014

John Deere Mounted Corn Picker

There is a John Deere 227 corn picker parked along I-55 north  of Wagonner. I found a web site that said it was built from 1953 till 1963. It is mounted on a John Deere G built from 1937 till 1953.  I am guessing by the grill that this one was made after 1942.  My Dad had a 227 picker mounted to a John Deere 60.  He would fill the wagons in the morning and my brother and I unloaded when we got home from school.  They were something of  a fire hazard because residue would get trapped on the engine and catch fire. Dad had a neighbor put it out for him one time and put it out several times himself.  He finally started buying disposable fire extinguishers and kept three on the tractor at a time.  The picker worked well and I think Dad replaced all the parts at least twice before he quit picking ear corn.

John Deere G with 227 mounted corn picker

No comments: