Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2016

GMO Labeling

I was listening to the debate on GMO labeling today, and decided to share my thoughts. It looks like there is a lot of interest in seeing a uniform, nationwide labeling law.  Past commodity groups and farm groups seem to be in favor a some law.  Others are still opposed.  A voluntary labeling bill is being considered.  I am not sure what that accomplishes.

I would argue that we already have non-GMO labeling in the "organic" label.

You can pretty much figure if the food contains any of the 9 GMO crops grown in the US,  Alfalfa, Canola, Corn (field and sweet),  Cotton, Papaya, Potatoes, Soybeans, Squash, and Sugar Beets then you are likely eating GMO foods.   I would argue that no label is necessary.  There is no know health risk to eating GMO foods and we have been eating them for over 20 years.

So back to voluntary labeling. I cannot imagine that GMO labeling would help sell any product that is labeled.  If it was voluntary, I don't think my food company would use it.  If you make labeling mandatory, that you at least level the playing field.  So while I don't see the need for GMO labeling, if we must have it, it should be mandatory. The down side of leaving it to the states that a hodge podge of laws would be a mess.

No comments: