Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

West Alton

I went to West Alton Via Shipman today. This my first day sampling for the fall season. Along the way, very little corn was harvested, but 95% is mature. Much more than Illinois crop report says, although, I don't think it matters this early. Farmers know when they are ready to harvest without the report. As I travelled in St. Charles County, I saw about 20% of corn harvested. Some are way ahead of that pace and others were just starting. I even found a few fields already fall tilled as below. Soybeans are still a very green for the most part. I did spot a little SDS, but nothing too serious. Just a few wet spots that probably were not going to make much anyway.
The people below were unloading on the go. This is a very good practice to speed up harvest, but it can create compaction. Soils was still wet in the wet swales. Moisture was good everywhere, even on the sandy ridges.

No comments: