Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Champaign

I went to Champaign Saturday for my annual Illinois Soil Classifiers Association annual meeting. It was the 36th. I joined in 1978 and I cannot say how many meetings I have attended, but 25 might be a fair guess. The meeting always includes a speaker and a business meeting.   Our speaker was Michelle Wander.   Her areas of interest include soil ecology and organic matter.  Her discussion centered on our ability of lack of ability to build organic matter in our soils depending on weather and tillage method. 

I always enjoy travelling across the heart of Illinois Corn country.  The trip from Monticello to Willard Field on the blacktop is always interesting. 

I digressed from the direct route a bit to see if I could find anything interesting to photograph.  The below machinery was parked in a field not far from Stonington.  The Anhydrous Ammonia had been applied and the field did not look too messed up.  The field had a little roll to it and probably the wet areas are tile drained.  It is good to see that not everyone put on all their nitrogen in the fall.  I have another interesting photo for tomorrow. 

No comments: