Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Early Surrender

I travelled to Champaign and back today.  This will be my last post of the year on how bad corn is.  Between Randy Darr and myself, we have travelled a good bit of the corn belt since July 1.  We have seen only a few fields of corn overall that really looked great.  We have been to Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, and extensively over our home state of Illinois.  We have only missed Iowa and Nebraska of the big corn producing states.  My guess is that sooner or later, yields, demand, and supply, will converge to effect the corn market.  I am not a good forecaster of price, but I would guess that most people will not hurt themselves if they do not sell all their corn right now. 

I did not see many combines in the field.  This is in contrast to last year when late August and September were a little wet at least in our area, and people were out compacting the soil very early.  It seems there is something of a sheep mentality going on.  Last year harvest progressed fast because people were expecting wetness to continue.  It did not.  This year, we seem to be expecting dryness to continue.  It may not.  In addition, I saw some fields starting to go down badly.  It should be time to get serious about harvest. 

No comments: