Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Greenfield Corn Ground

I sample today in the Greenfield and Carrollton area.  I did not get a report on yield, but judging from stover and cobs, the corn was pretty good.  This was early planted corn.  I did get an indication however that the corn did not reach it's entire yield potential.  Leaves were dried down but still green.  Kind of like hay.   It has to run out of water very fast for that to happen.  Soils were very dry, but I waws able to find places to bore without hammering.  I suppose the corn was planted before the soil got really wet and did not get compacted.  I also found moisture in low lying areas, but even there the corn dried green.  The plant could not take up water fast enough to offset low humidity and heat. 

There were a few more combines in the field today than yesterday, but still not near everyone.  With stalks weakened by disease and drought, I would think people would be ready to go.  The corn I sampled today did have sturdy stalks.  At least they were sturdy enough to blow a tire on my 4 wheeler.

No comments: