Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tillage Underway between Hillsboro and Springfield

I went to Springfield today for some informal training with a co-worker.  Going and coming there were people doing secondary tillage, mostly field cultivating and soil conditioning.  The ground looks ready to plant after the tillage is complete, but planting time is still a month away.  I hope the people tilling now are planning to plant into a stale seedbed.  There is no point in tilling now and then going back and burning up more fuel in April when planting is done.  One pass should do it in most cases. 

I have also seen anhydrous wagons on the road.  With the warm weather we are having, I would be using inhibitors with nitrogen application when applying this early.  I have not checked soil temperature, but It could easily be warm very early this year. 

Wheat is breaking dormancy.  Now is the ideal time to apply nitrogen to wheat.

No comments: