Search This Blog

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Fall Nitrogen Application

I always get nervous when I see anhydrous tanks on the move in September.  I hope they were just moving them from one facility to another.  I feel compelled each year to remind readers the fall application of nitrogen should wait until after soil temperatures are below 50 degrees Fahrenheit.  In fact, I discourage fall application south of I-72.  We have had too many wet years when denitrification caused all the fall applied nitrogen to become unavailable.  Yes we have soil tests to prove it.  If you must fall apply, use nitrification inhibitors and wait until Thanksgiving week.  If you are really in a hurry, at least check your soil temperature before you apply.  You can check the Illinois State Water Survey Website to see if the temperature is close.  I advise checking field by field at 10 AM because there can be a lot of variation.  Soil temperatures are in the 70's right now. 

No comments: