Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Hillsboro Soil Conservationist Passes

I am sad to report the passing of Don Long, former District Conservationist for USDA Soil Conservation Service in Hillsboro.  I first met Don when I was a young soil scientist in Edwardsville.  We worked in the same administrative area.  When I moved to Hillsboro, Don had been retired about 5 years.  He would stop by the office from time to time to share his wisdom.  He had solid common sense.  In more recent years, I have joined Don and a group of other retired people for coffee.  Don often had a story to share with the group.  I will always remember a road trip in the summer of 2014 to his farm near Crossville.  Don showed me all around the farm.  I collected soil samples to have tested using our then new Soil Heath Tool.  His land had been in continuous No-till for 30 years by that time, and it showed.  Don's obituary is worth a look.

No comments: