Search This Blog

Friday, September 10, 2010

Heat and corn yield

Sorry I missed yesterday. Got busy with VRT recs and map drawing on a new field.

I was talking to a producer yesterday who had low yields on his flat better ground, He and I both think it was the wetness, not the heat that was the biggest factor in his yield loss. I think you can add 3 years in a row of wetness and the compaction that comes with that. One of my clues that the heat was not the problem is that I have a customer in an area that had a few dry periods, but his wet ground was still bad yielding. His sandier ridgetops topped out at 234 bushell per acres. If heat was a problem, it should have showed up on the sandier soils. Low ground ran out of nitrogen too, because of de-nitrification under the saturated conditions.
Observation is the beginning of science.

No comments: