Search This Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

High speed rail

News reports had been somewhat vague about where work was being done on the Chicago-St Louis High Speed rail project. Work crews are laying concrete ties near Shipman. I could not get close enough to see the actual work crew, but here they are unloading ties on a siding to take to the work area. A closer view of the ties. They appear to be a bit bigger than wooden ties. Not sure how they fasten the rails to them. I heard they plan a Chicago to St Louis run in 4 hours. I would be hoping for 2 to 3 hours myself, but if they run mostly on time, it will still be faster than flying. Air time is only 30 minutes, but can easily take 5 or 6 hours with parking, waiting, and getting rental cars. I would take the train if it meets my schedule, even now.

No comments: