Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Medora

I spent the day working West of Medora today.  The weather was beautiful.  Field work was still minimal today..  I saw some spraying and nitrogen application going on. 

I observed some sulfur deficiency in some corn today that should not have been deficient.  I visited with my customer and he had put sulfur in elemental form as well as in his liquid starter.  A seed company agronomist was also present during my discussion.  I had already thought about cold wet weather being a possible cause.  The agronomist gave cold wet weather as his opinion before I voiced mine.  He thinks lack of oxygen and lack of microbial activity both played a role.

My customer has also set up a test strip for starter fertilizer.  Right now the corn with starter looks better.  We will see if that shows up in the yield. 

No comments: