Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2011

So Where Have You Been

The title tonight's blog is What I get asked in the coffee shop.  That is one reason I write this blog.  In the middle of an 8 day run of field soil sampling, other topics have distracted me.  Here is a brief rundown of where I have been and what I have seen.

I have worked from Virden to Valmeyer and points between.  Also some time was spent in Illinois River bottoms near Nutwood.   I have seen lots of corn planted and emerged, but I know some still have corn to plant.  Today I sample the first field of soybeans that I have seen emerged.  Many are planting soybeans, but there is still a lot to be done. 

Insect damage I have seen includes cutworm and flea beetle damage.  Watch out for the cutworms.  One field was probably 5% damaged which is way past the threshold to spray.  So far weed control has looked good once that spring flush is killed. 

No comments: