Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Staunton Then West Alton

I started my day in the Staunton area today.  It was my first day in the field there.  Lots of people were working in the field despite less than ideal conditions.  The only corn up was on the farm I was sampling where corn was planted April 2 and 3.  That corn looked pretty good.  The stand was not perfect, but it looked OK.  I sampled it for regular test as well as Nitrogen testing. The customer was worried that wetness may have cost him a lot of Nitrogen.  We will find out.  He had some corn planted April 14 that will be replanted.  I think the frost may have damaged some, but that was not the entire problem.  I was so wet I got stuck in his yard. 

From there I headed to West Alton to sample some more early planted corn.   It looked good except for some of the sandy spots were showing sulfur deficiency.  See the photo below.  Corn planting in West Alton area is about done.  Most people were planting soybeans. 

No comments: