Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2011

Fertilizer Time

I went to Champaign for a class I am taking mostly by webinar.  We had to make 3 visits to campus and today was the last one.  On my way home I took the scenic route so I could take pictures.  I got a number of good ones, but perhaps none with more information than this one.  In the foreground is a pile of lime waiting to be applied.  Lime is important because in addition to providing needed calcium and possibly magnesium, it helps to control soil pH which effects the availability of all 16 essential nutrients.  In the middle of the picture is a fertilizer tender truck.  It is used to carry fertilizer to the field for the spreader in the background.  They are probably spreading Phosphorus and Potassium.  Some people add micronutrients as well, but most soils in Illinois don't need them too produce corn and soybeans.  We do look at micro-nutrients, but only after we get the major nutrients in order. 

No comments: