Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

Roundup Resistance

I have been in the field almost daily in the spring for the last 6 years.  When I started consulting and soil sampling, we were just hearing about Glyphosate resistance.  I saw some the first year I worked in the field regularly in 2005.  It has steadily gotten to be more prevalent.  The first time I saw Roundup Ready genetics at work was in 1997.  I was amazed, but I had a sense that using it every year in corn and soybeans was not a good idea. 

Recently, the Liberty Link gene has allowed the use of herbicide containing Glufosinate.  Glufosinate seems to be a good way to rotate herbicides to overcome resistance.  Another way to overcome resistance is to tank mix 2-4-D for burndown.  This article covers the use of 2-4-D tank mix.  2-4-D resistant corn is also on the way. My preference would be to eliminate the glyphosate altogether every other year, but it is important to have choices.  The important thing is to kill the weeds to reduce the amount of resistant seed.

No comments: