Search This Blog

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Field Work In Monroe County

I went to Columbia today to visit Mom and could not resist a quick lap around the American Bottoms to see what was going on in the farming world. I saw two planters actually planting and one planter parked. The one below is planting in a stale seedbed.  His weed control looks fine at this point.  If you did the tillage why do it again? 
 Some early corn was planted and looking OK.  It is pale, but has not gotten to nitrogen yet.  I guestimate that 15% is planted and emerged in that area.  That is way ahead of most areas I have seen.
 Seep water is always a problem in the river bottoms when the river is up.  These swales will be planted late if at all. 
 Wheat was also a bit ahead of ours.  This field was heading out.  Most of the wheat looked ok, but I did see some with a diseased flag leaf.  Remember to scout your wheat to see if fungicide is needed.  With our damp  weather fungicide may be needed. 

No comments: