Search This Blog

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Rain is getting old

Today was the only day this week I am going to be able to work, and I should not be complaining because farmers are not getting any time in the field this week.  I was not at all certain how my day would go.  I started off getting the field at 5AM.  I had one field that I wanted to make sure I sampled today and with rain in the forecast, you never know.  I went as far south as Hamel where I found field conditions OK for me, but too wet for farm work.  I went North to Staunton and found a lot of standing water in the field.  The customer I chose to work on has a pretty good surface drainage system so I got a lot done on hm despite having to dodge some puddles.  Heavy rain is moving in as I write this.  I am glad I got almost 2 days work done today. 

I sampled all corn and it was all emerged.  The corn looks good for the most part.  I am still seeing cutworm damage, but today it was not bad.  I did tell the customers I found them.  I was speculating with a fellow consultant about whether they might have drowned.  I guess they did not. 

No comments: