Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Passing of a U of I Icon

In catching up on my reading today, Ran across and obituary of Ambrose W. Burger.  Dr. Burger was a long time Agronomy Professor and during my time at the University of Illinois,  he taught the Introductory Agronomy class which I took in my first semester.  Since that class was nearly 40 years ago, I have to admit that I cannot say what I learned from Dr. Burger related to agronomy.  I can say I learned a good deal about what he expected of his students.  He expected class attendance.  He expected effort.  He expected participation.  Dr. Burger received many awards for his teaching,  He also sponsored the Field and Furrow Club, the U of I Agronomy Club, for 30 years.  It was in the Field and Furrow club that he really showed his dedication to students.  He made sure that our first exposure to the world of Professional Academic groups was a positive one.

Despite being sort of a scary guy to a freshman, he was merciful to me when I missed an exam one morning.  I walked into his office apologetically as soon as I was able and he sat me down right there and handed me the test.  I was both surprised and appreciative that he was merciful.

Dr. Burger had sort of a disorganized looking office, but I remember one time I was doing a paper for another class and someone said that Dr. Burger would have some reference material that he might share.  When I went to see him he rubbed his chin and looked around a minute and reached into a pile and pulled out exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for your efforts Dr. Burger on behalf of all the students who passed through your sphere of influence. 

1 comment:

Kim Morton said...

It was Agronomy 121 and I took it my second semester, sophomore year, 1980. He inspired me to study so hard for the weed, seed & plant ID test that, even though I'd never been in FFA or studied any of that before, I won a subscription to Farm Journal. I couldn't have done it without all the vials of seeds in the AGR liabrary. I do remember 2 things he believed in: planting corn early & your soybeans in narrow rows. (Drilling beans was just starting then.). He was a legend for good reason.