Aaron Hager's presentation may have the most widespread applicability of any of them. Weed resistance to herbicides and how to manage it was a big part of the discussion. His observations and recommendations are:
- Selection for resistance occurs with every application of every herbicide.
- Use a pre-plant burndown and pre-plant residual
- Scout 14 days after planting to make sure you catch weeds small.
- Scout 7 to 10 days after the application of post plant materials to make sure your herbicide worked.
- Tank mixes used, not herbicide rotation is a key to clean crops.
- Those using three herbicide modes of action stand a better chance of clean fields
- Plan on three herbicide applications