Search This Blog

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Bald Eagles

I had business today  in the Columbia Illinois area today and on my way home I drove on the levee to see what I could see.  Several Bald Eagles were soaring as I drove.  I tried pictures, but no luck with that.  I did catch these 2 roosting a rather large tree.  You can barely see the white heads on a large tree branch.  Most of the Bald Eagles in Alaska and Canada make their winter home on the Mississippi River withing 100 miles north and south of St. Louis.  When the river gets icy they move further south.  Ar first when they made their way to our area they would concentrate around the locks and dams because of easy fishing.  They are still in those areas, but they have spread out some as well.  Seeing them in person, it is easy to see why such a majestic animal was chosen as a symbol of our country.  We now have a few nesting pairs in our area and they stay here year round. 

No comments: