Search This Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Winter Soil Condition

Most of the time I probe 7 inches deep.  From time to time I do an investigation for a septic tank filter field.  By law those borings must be at least 5 feet deep.  I like doing them to keep my soil classifying skills sharp.  I also like the chance to examine soil moisture to a depth of 5 feet. 

Yesterday was one of those days.  I was working within 5 miles of Hillsboro.  The area I was working was an old pasture and soil moisture was just where we want it in the winter.  Even though it has been 2 weeks since we had much rain, a wetting front was still moving through the soil at a depth of about 3 feet.  Soil moisture is at field capacity in the upper 5 feet.  This sends us into the growing season with moisture just about as good as it can get.  Why do I say it sends us into the growing season?  With evapo-transpiration almost non-existent in the winter, soil moisture will not change much until crops and or weeds start growing in the spring.  If we do not get excessive early spring rains, soil moisture should be perfect at planting time.  What all this means in terms of next year's crop is that a complete crop failure is unlikely at least in my area.  I would be curious about moisture in the drought stricken parts of southern Illinois.  I suspect they could still use a little more rain before spring.

No comments: