Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

CCA Convention

I attended the Certified Crop Advisor Convention in Springfield, IL today.  It was my first time at this event and I was very surprised at the size of the meeting.  Presenters and topics were very diverse.  It was refreshing to hear from private industry and out of state presenters.  I will be attending more of these events in the future.  I saw customers, potential customers, and colleagues.   I have material for several blogs. 

One of the presenters, Emerson Nafziger, analyzed the past growing season as relates to corn production.  Many producers and agronomists have blamed hot summer nights for the disappointing corn yields.  My observations on September 10 were that disappointing yields were related to wetness and nitrogen loss.  September 10 Blog  .  Emerson must have read my blog because his analysis was similar to mine.  He admitted that hot weather might have played a small role, it was wetness and running out of nitrogen that was the biggest contributor to the lower than expected corn yields. 

No comments: