Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blizzard

So what do you do while waiting out the great blizzard of 2011.  A blogger needs to catch up on his reading for one thing.  We are caught in that awkward time where we are getting caught up on paperwork and taxes.  Meetings continue, but maybe you are tired of the circuit already. 

I hope you are ready for spring planting.  By now your inputs should be bought or at least have  price locked in.  Yes I know that nobody will be doing much for 2 months, but selecting seed varieties.  Buying herbicides and fertilizer, and planning on your weed control strategy should be complete.  I hope you are managing to control resistant weeds.  I also hope you know which varieties you might need to scout for diseases. 

After attending my recent classes in Wisconsin and Michigan.  I am more convinced than ever that we need to manage for pest who will resist our crop protection products.  We spent a lot of time discussing how long certain products might be used before resistance develops.  Keep in mind that the number of new products on the horizon are small.  Developing new crop protection products takes time and money.  I hope that the companies that have increased the price of their products are investing the windfall in research and development.

I could ramble on, but I think this is enough for a day. 

No comments: