Search This Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

Soybean Cyst Nematode and pH

One of the reasons I write this is that I get journals that the average producer does not receive.  Often the technical jargon makes it difficult for even a crop consultant to read.  As I have said, I am catching up on my reading.  I ran across this summary of soybean cyst nematode and pH in the Crop, Soils , Agronomy News.

Here is another reason to apply lime by variable rate.  researchers at Iowa State University have found that high soil pH often correlates with high cyst nematode populations. They are not sure if the soil pH affects the suitability of the soybean plant to serve as a host or if the soil pH has a direct effect on the cyst nematodes.  It really does not matter.

Here is what I would do about it.  See if you can outline those areas most affected by nematodes with a GPS.  Soil sample the good areas separate from the infected areas.  If the affected areas are high pH, then you need to avoid liming them using variable rate technology.  Lowering the pH over time will also help with nutrient availability in those areas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I truly love how it’s easy on my eyes and the details are well written. I am wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your rss feed which ought to do the trick! Have a nice day!