Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2011

Glyphosate resistance

I don't think I can blog too much about glyphosate resistance.  In 1996 after working on wetlands and stormwater for a number of years, I worked briefly in production agriculture.  It was the first time I had seen Round-up Ready crops.  I was amazed.  I was also concerned about relying entirely on one herbicide for weed control in all crops.

About when I started my consulting career in 2005 we were starting to hear about glyphosate resistance.  A few weeks after planting time when sprayers start to run it is fairly easy to see.  Dead weeds next to live weeds.  Pretty much if it is resistant, I have seen it.  Waterhemp, giant ragweed, marestail, and lambquarters.  I am also curious about wild sweet potato although it grows so fast it is hard to say. 

Follow the strategies in this brochure to address glyphosate resistance.  Follow them even if you don't think you have resistant weeds.  You will put off the invasion.  Even Monsanto is endorsing these strategies.  Glyphosate is an important crop protectant to have in your arsenal, but using it only once in 2 years or less will help prevent future problems.

No comments: