Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Harvest moving along

I worked in the Virden area today. I would estimate over all that corn is about 15% harvested.  There was lots of machinery in the field and lots of farm traffic on the roads.  It is a time of year to be extra cautious driving in the countryside.

With Hurricane Isaac underway, there is a hope that extra rain might help the soybean crop.  It was my observation today that maybe 20% of the soybeans are turning yellow in my area.  Those will not be helped much by additional rain.  I am hoping that the soybeans that are still green will fill with big beans. 

The weather forecast is weird.  The greatest chance of showers for the weekend is 70%.  The national hurricane center says we could get 3 to 5 inches of rain.  How can that be?? 

No comments: