Search This Blog

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Adventurous Eating

Earlier this week my friend and co-worker told me she was digging up Jerusalem Artichoke and asked if I wanted any to eat.  Feeling adventurous I decided to give them a try. I washed them and tried them several ways.  My favorite cooking method was cooking them like hash browns although they did not stick together.  I also baked some and ate them in the skin.  Again they were tasty.  They are a tuber like a potato, but smaller and more flavorful. You can find lots of recipes online including this one by Emeril Lagasse.  I mashed the rest of them and they turned out good although not smooth.  They have more fiber than potatoes, the flavor is excellent, and yes I would eat them again.  Would I go to the work of digging them?  Maybe.  
Jerusalem Artichoke in bloom

Jerusalem Artichoke washed and ready to cook

Jerusalem Artichoke pealed

Cooking Jerusalem Artichoke like Hash Browns

No comments: