Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Thought About the Farm Bill

Last time a new farm bill was written, I participated in a Faith Based Forum that was to provide input to the denomination so they could lobby for farm policy.  It seemed to me that most of the participants were interested the food stamp program.  I cannot remember the circumstances, but I commented that it appeared that no one cared what was in the farm bill as long as food is cheap and plentiful.  I believe this to be true on this farm bill too.  Our food is safe, cheap, and plentiful.  Farmers  keep close track of the farm bill.  Everyone else watches food prices.  As long as they can eat well it appears there is no need to change.  It would be interesting to see how fast we would have a farm bill if the grocery shelves were empty.

No comments: