Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Soybean Condition

The USDA Report is in for September.  I have no idea as to accuracy.  I was expecting lower corn yields, but at this point I am not sure.  I have heard rumors of yields in Southeastern, IL that are just about double the farm average. 

The soybeans in the top picture are almost fully yellow.  I think I got the greenest part of the field.  Most fields are not this far along.  The field below is right next to it and is still mostly green.  I am curious about the effects of weeds on soybean yields.  The lower photo is about average weed pressure in many of our fields. I could see a crop reporter saying is beans are in  the bottom picture are in good condition, but are the really.  I found this old research report on weeds and soybean yield.  THe abstract contains the results.
Yellow Soybeans

Green Soybeans

Weedy Soybeans

No comments: