Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Ipad Update

I bought my IPAD2 just over a year ago on Thanksgiving with the intention of using it to display my maps in the field for sampling purposes.  You can see below that it made it through the spring and fall season no worse for the wear.  The Otterbox seems tough as nails.  The Ram Mount works great.  You can see my zones on the display.  On the lower left, the little black thing is a Garmin Glo receiver.  The receiver is necessary because I did not purchase an Ipad with a data card.  The Garmin Glo is hooked up by Bluetooth and works with any Ipad, even the original.  It will also work on a laptop.  If you have a WIFI only Ipad, you need an IOS compatible GPS receiver.  Not all work on IOS.

Battery Life is about 6 1/2 hours and I only ran out of battery once on the last sample of the day one day.  If I am loading on the truck and moving, I put the Ipad on standby which seems to get me just about as much battery life as I need.  

If I had it to do over, I would by a newer model Ipad with a data card.  Advantages of the newer models are:
  • Retina Display
  • Better Camera
  • No External Receiver needed. 
  • Also, If you purchase a data plan, you get aerial photos any time you are within range of an internet signal. 
Another way to deal with the internet signal would be to get a WIFI hotspot or use your phone as a hotspot.  I am not sure how long the phone battery would last.  
Ipad2 WIFI

No comments: