Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Speculations on 2013 Soybean Crop

It would appear that the 2013 soybean crop has exceeded the expectations of many experts.  I too was expecting a yield hit this year because of the low rainfall amounts in July, August, and September.  Emerson Nafziger offers some speculations, advice, and research results in this U of I bulletin .  Results showed that 15 inch rows had a 4 bushel yield advantage.  I have advocated narrow row soybeans here in the past and the results support my advice.  People tell me they get good results with 30 inch rows and they do, but none of them are doing comparison studies either.  I will continue to advocate for narrow row soybeans.  It is no surprise that fungicide treatments did not offer an advantage.  Disease pressure is usually low in dry years.  Check out the article for more information. 

No comments: