Search This Blog

Thursday, July 31, 2014

George Washington Carver

We finally got home last night from our vacation.  Somehow it seemed longer than seven days. One of our last stops was at the George Washington Carver  National Historic Monument.  Carver and Norman Bourlaug are the only agronomists that I know who have a statue. It is interesting to note that both of them were inspired by the desire to help feed poor people.  The National Park Service puts a good deal of emphasis on Carver's philosophy.  He was certainly a thinker beyond most of us.  Besides being an agronomist  he was a food scientist and biochemist as well.  It was an inspiration to see what can come of humble beginnings.


2 comments:

Ed Winkle said...

Very nice story, Dave. Dr. Carver was in inspiration to me as a child and I replicated some of his experiments.

Dr. Borlaug made wheat and other cereals grow where they would not before. They both fed millions of people.

Ed

Dave Rahe said...

I read inspiring biographies of Carver and Luther Burbank in Jr. High. I suppose both may have inspired my choice of profession.