Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2013

Continuous Corn Yield Penalty

I have written more than once about the continuous Corn yield penalty.  No-Till Farmer offered this article on Understanding The Continuous Corn Yield Penalty .  University of Illinois researchers peg the cause on N availability, corn stover accumulation, and unfavorable weather.  This goes a little bit against conventional wisdom that the disease and insect cycles are a factor. However I find little argument with the conclusions.  The researchers also found that the yield penalty continued to get worse each year of their seven year study.  I wrote a blog in October on Corn Following Corn.  It looks like I should add residue management to my suggestions on how to grow continuous corn.  It looks like incorporation of residue to speed up decomposition would be advantageous. 

No comments: