Search This Blog

Friday, July 6, 2012

Number One Food Plot Failure

By Randy Darr - President of Soil-Right Consulting Services, Inc.

    Trying to think about anything but the horrendous heat and drought that we are currently experiencing, I thought I would write a blog for Dave.  He always tells me that he doesn't mind having a break.  Anyway, I needed a haircut today so I went to my barber.  Just an old fashioned $6.00 haircut.  My wife can verify that I don't need much styling.  While waiting I picked up the July 2012 issue Buckmasters Magazine.  Typical reading material while waiting for a haircut.  An article caught my eye that discussed the common failures of food plot construction.
     Food plots are constructed to provide habitat and food for wildlife.  Food plots give wildlife the needed habitat to flourish and grow.  One of the eventual consequences is that food plots can give the owner an abundant supply of wildlife to look at and to harvest this fall when the appropriate season arrives.  I enjoyed this article because the number one failure to be determined in food plot construction was the lack of a good soil test.  The writer of the article was preaching to the choir as I read.  As we always preach and the article stated is that a soil test not only provides information on what the soil needs to make it healthy, but, more importantly what it doesn't need.  I found it refreshing to see that there are others who think the way we do.

No comments: