Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Trip across Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin

My weekend blogs did not post as planned.  Sorry.  I was posting fromy Droid.  I hope you enjoy today's post.

By Randy Darr, President Soil Right Consulting Services, Inc.

In the business of agricultural consulting once in awhile we get the opportunity to work some unique projects. We have worked for insurance companies, the coal mine industry, and a manure refining comany to name a few. This year we are working on a project for the University of Illinois Chicago. This past week was a trip across northern Illinois into south west Iowa then to south west Minnesota to access the crop health of previously chosen fields. What I saw was a corn crop that ranged from very good to very bad. Earth shattering information I am sure. Not really. The northern Illinois crop is still very young. With another rain or two it could be a very repectable.

As I moved across, I saw fields that will yield near zero and fields that will be good if not excellant depending on the remainder of the growing season. Pinpointing how much of each there will be will depend on how wide localized rains have been throughout the season. As the old saying goes, "Rain makes grain." Due to our research I'm sorry that I can't be more specific than that.



No comments: