Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Apple Scab

Our meeting opened with a presentation by Dr. Dan Cooley of the University of Massachusetts.  He was advocating the use of sanitation to postpone the need for fungicides in apples.  He seemed to think his technique could postpone fungicides by one or two application cycles.  Dr. George Sundin was the next presenter and he was advocating early application of fungicide to control apple rust.  After listening to both of them, I got the idea that an early application might postpone the need for further applications a few weeks.  I asked Cooley about my idea, and he thought it was a bad one, but it seems to me that it would start the rust season very clean and then use scouting to decide on further applications.  I am no expert, but could not resist posting my ideas.

No comments: