Search This Blog

Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year

Happy New Year!  What is new about it?  January 1 is just another day as the earth makes it's way around the sun.  Astronomically it signifies nothing.  If nothing else it is the day you put up a new calender.  If you are involved in agriculture, you better be looking at what you can do differently in 2011 to update your operation.  That goes for consultants, ag suppliers, advisers and farm managers as well as producers.  If we are standing still, we are falling behind.  You don't have to be an early innovator to keep up.  Sometimes it is good to let the early innovators fall on their face, or perfect the technique.  On the other hand, do not wait to long to embrace what is new.   

So where should you go in 2011?  I don't know.  Every operation is unique.  For me every customer is unique.  Yesterday I read a blog about a failing farm.  While I sympathize with the people that are going through the stress of not being able to make a living like they always have, I also am curious as to what was being done on this farm that is innovative?  What specialty niche markets were explored?  What "new" or different technology might have made a difference?  What does their management team look like.  Could a marketing consultant have made a difference.  What about a crop consultant?  I have had family members experience the pain of losing the farm, so this is not meant as criticism.  Maybe it is more of warning.

I will spend a good bit of time this winter attending meetings that will qualify as continuing education credits for my professional credentials.  The real reason for attending all those meetings and seminars though is not just to put numbers on the computer, but to find out what is new out their. How can I help clients "keep up".  I know there are many ways to keep up, but I am always a bit surprised at the low attendance at such programs.  I will have a different list by spring, but here is an attempt to suggest some things that might make a difference to individual producers.

1.  Steering systems reduce costs by preventing overlap.
2.  Ditto for planter and sprayer shutoffs.
3.  Only a few management zones needing different treatments can make a difference in fertilizer costs so try VRA..
4  Precision seed placement can help maximize yields.
5.  Should some of your land be used for a specialty crop?
6.  How can you cash in on the locally grown craze.
7.  Are you managing timber or is your timber land just a "waste".  If you see it as wasteland, maybe you need a forestry consultant.
8.  Market your crop to make a profit.    Peaks come and go, but profit keeps you in business. 
9.  Top yields often involve fungicide.  That said, learn when to use fungicides.  Fungicide resistance is just as prevalent as  weed resistance. 
10.   Don't say "we have never done it that way".  Instead say, "I will try that on some of my acres."
11.  Expand your circle of friends, suppliers and consultants. 

I could go on, but I think you get  the idea.   I will be spending the next 2 days in St. Louis attending the Farm Futures Conference to find out what is "new" in agriculture. Follow my comments on twitter in the sidebar.  I hope to bring home lots of blog material.

No comments: