Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Setting up a farmstead wide network

I know that many of you are still struggling with dial-up, so maybe this will whet your appetite for hi-speed even more.  If you do have high speed and you already have a wireless network you may want expand it to go farm wide.  I just read an article from last summer about a company named Ayrstone Productivity, LLC  That is offering equipment to expand the reach of your home network.  Their product can set you up to use your wireless connection as much as 1/2 mile from the base.  Metal buildings do interfere, but the interference can be overcome.  I could see where this would be really handy for downloading yield data without taking out the card.  It might be good to have a netbook or I-pad in the shop to be able to order parts while outdoors.  I could see that use in livestock situations too, especially dairies.  Looks like it might be worth a look. 

No comments: