Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Econmics of Farming

Kelly Robertson Wrote a great blog about things that pay and do not pay when trying to gain an edge in the business of farming.  I cannot improve upon his remarks, but  have  few thoughts of my own. 

USDA appears to be making some attempt to recognize hobby farmers as farmers.  I remember in some hard years my dad joked about being a hobby farmer, but he manage raise 3 sons and send us to college with a little help from Grandpa.  He was trying to make a living at it and did OK.  Mom only worked off the farm sporadically.   That is not a hobby farmer.  On the other hand what about a 2 income family who farms weekends.  If the farm is a tax shelter is that a hobby farm?  What if they make a profit?

Does it matter how big they are?  I don't think so, but I made a comment some time back that if you are not trying to make money farming, then you are a gardener or a pet owner. 

Kelly's remarks also cause me to remember when Ike Leeper started a maximum economic yield contest.  It was very interesting to see who won the contest each year.  The participants met quarterly and I would venture that all of them changed their operation a bit because of what they learned int he contest.   I would be great to restart that tradition and get farmers cooperating instead of competing.

No comments: